In India, the legality of online casinos can be a bit complex and varies depending on the state laws. Gambling laws in India are largely governed by the Public Gambling Act of 1867, which is quite outdated and doesn't mention online gambling or casinos.
Some states in India have their own gambling laws that might either allow or prohibit online gambling. For instance, Sikkim and Goa have specific regulations allowing certain forms of online gambling within their territories, while other states might have stricter laws prohibiting gambling activities.
On this page, we will talk about the legal status of online casinos in India, offering clarity and confidence if you want to engage in online gaming.
In Which States Can I Play Online Casino Games?
In India, online gambling is legal except in states like Telangana and Andhra Pradesh. The central law, the Public Gambling Act of 1867, doesn’t explicitly cover online gambling, focusing more on land-based gaming. Due to the absence of specific regulations, many foreign-based online casinos operate in India.
Certain states imposed temporary bans on online gaming, including skill and chance-based games, such as Karnataka, Kerala, Andhra Pradesh, and Tamil Nadu. However, many of these bans have been lifted. In essence, the legality of online gambling in India often depends on using foreign-based platforms sticking to certain criteria, while keeping in mind the specific laws of each state.
All the top online casino sites such as 10Cric, 1xBet, and Dafabet, which have licenses from outside India can legally operate here. They just need to make sure that they accept INR as Indian laws don't affect them because they are based out of India.
In fact, an online can be considered legal in India when the following 3 criteria are met:
- The casino is based outside of India
- The casino is regulated by a foreign regulator
- The casino accepts INR as a currency
In each state, except for Telangana and Andhra Pradesh, you can play at online casinos that comply with the above mentioned criteria.
How Old Do You Have to Be to Bet Online?
In India, the legal age for online casino gaming and most forms of gambling is set at 18 years old across states where gambling is permitted.
However, in regions where gambling activities are banned or restricted, the legal age limit becomes irrelevant as participation in any form of gambling, including online betting, is prohibited regardless of age.
You must be aware of the gambling laws in your specific state or region to ensure compliance with legal age restrictions and regulations before engaging in any online casino gambling.
Can I Play at an Online Casino?
For individuals in states where online casinos are legal and regulated, the process typically involves finding a reputable online casino that operates legally within India.
Similar to online bookmakers, it's essential to choose a licensed and trustworthy casino with a solid reputation and a range of gaming options.
Luckily, all the casino sites we mention on CasinoExpert are 100% legal in India and have licenses from foreign regulators.
Here's a general guide on how to get started with an online casino in India:
- Check Legal Status: Ensure that online casinos are permitted in your specific state or region. Some states may allow certain forms of gambling while others strictly prohibit them.
- Select a Reputable Casino: Look for an online casino that operates legally within India, holds valid licensing, and has a good track record for security and fair gaming.
- Create an Account: Register for an account by providing your details. This typically involves your name, address, and contact information.
- Verify Your Identity: Online casinos require identity verification for security purposes. Be prepared to provide identification and proof of address.
- Deposit Funds: Once your account is set up and verified, you can deposit funds using various payment methods offered by the casino, such as UPI, credit/debit cards, e-wallets, or bank transfers.
- Explore Games: Online casinos offer a wide range of games, including slots, table games like blackjack and roulette, and live dealer games. Navigate through the options and choose your preferred games.
- Play Responsibly: Remember to gamble responsibly and within your means. Set limits on your spending and time spent playing to ensure an enjoyable and safe experience.
What Are the Most Common Online Casino Licenses?
The best online casino licenses are usually issued by respected regulatory bodies that ensure fairness, security, and responsible gaming practices.
Some of the most reputable ones include:
- Malta Gaming Authority (MGA): Known for its stringent regulations, MGA licenses ensure high standards of player protection, game fairness, and operator accountability.
- United Kingdom Gambling Commission (UKGC): It's one of the most respected regulators globally, ensuring that casinos meet strict criteria regarding fairness, security, and responsible gaming.
- Gibraltar Regulatory Authority: It offers licenses to online gambling operators, maintaining a reputation for strict compliance and high standards.
- Alderney Gambling Control Commission: Known for its rigorous standards, Alderney licenses ensure player safety and fair gaming.
- Isle of Man Gambling Supervision Commission: This commission regulates online gambling operations, ensuring compliance with strict licensing conditions.
- Curacao: The Curacao eGaming License is another commonly seen license in the online casino industry. Casinos licensed by Curacao often offer a wider range of games as compared to other license holders mentioned above.
When choosing an online casino, having a license from one or more of these authorities is a good indicator of a trustworthy and reliable platform. These licenses often mean that the casino meets specific standards in terms of game fairness, security measures, etc.
In India, the legality of online casino gaming differs across states, with the majority of regions allowing it. If you're in a state where online casino gaming is permitted, you can enjoy playing games on licensed platforms.
Remember, the legal age for gaming in India is 18, and casinos verify your age through KYC checks. Ensure you opt for licensed and regulated platforms to guarantee a safe and trustworthy gaming experience.