Blackjack is a card game that has been embraced by many countries worldwide for its mix of thrill and excitement. Even in India, it has slowly gained popularity. Today, you can find many online casinos in the country that host dozens of different blackjack games.
If you are wondering how to play blackjack, you are at the right place. This page will unravel all the intricacies of this game ranging from its fundamental rules to blackjack basic strategy that you can use to master the game.
It has something for everyone regardless of whether you are a novice looking to explore the glamor of blackjack or a seasoned player in search of new insights to refine your skills.
So, delve into this guide and get acquainted with the essence of this game.
How to Play Blackjack?
Blackjack is a card game where every player at the table competes against the dealer as opposed to each other. Your goal is to get the value of your cards close to 21, but not exceed the number.
You win if your hand is greater than the dealer’s without going bust. “Going bust” is an in-game terminology used when the tally of your cards exceeds 21. Along the way, you can try several blackjack tips and tricks to enhance the way you play this game.
Blackjack is played across several rounds with a player declared as the winner ultimately.
Here is the information about how to play blackjack step-by-step:
- Placing bets: Before the round begins, all the players at the table place bets as per the minimum and maximum limits set by the casino site
- Dealing of cards: Once the bets are placed, the dealer deals two cards, face up, to each player, and two for themselves, but one face down and another face up
- Playing of hand: Now, the player sitting to the left of the dealer plays their hand depending on the two cards they have. They can do one of the four things as highlighted below –
- Hit: Request the dealer for an extra card to improve the value of their hand
- Stand: Stick to the cards they have without requesting an additional card
- Double down: If they have a strong hand, they can double down, meaning double their initial bet and receive an additional card
- Split: Split is requested when they have a pair, or cards of the same value. The dealer separates them into two separate hands, each hand carrying its own bet
- Dealer’s play: After all the players have played their respective hands, it is the dealer’s turn, who reveals their face down card. It is noteworthy that they always follow a preset rule, which is hitting until their total reaches 17 or higher
- Deciding the winner: With multiple players at the table, different scenarios play out while determining the winner –
- If a player’s hand is closer to 21 in value, but not over, and higher than the dealer’s hand, they win the round and earn a payout of 1:1
- If a player’s hand goes above 21, they lose their bet
- If the dealer busts and the player’s hand is close to 21, but not over, the player wins the round
- If the dealer’s hand is closer to 21, but not a bust, and higher than the player’s the dealer wins
- Payout: All winners collect a payout of 1:1 whereas the ones who lose forfeit their bet
- Completion of the round: Settling the payouts sounds the completion of the round. Players can then place fresh bets for the new round to begin
Each round follows the above steps and requires you to follow blackjack strategy to topple the dealer and emerge victorious.
Make sure that you are well-versed in the rules of the game so as to not leave yourself confused or dumbfounded if the results do not fall in your favor.
Materials Needed to Play Blackjack
If you are considering playing blackjack with your friends and family, you can, but you will require a few basic equipments as shown below.
- A deck of playing cards: While you can use a single deck of 52 cards, you can opt for multiple decks, which is what casinos do by shuffling them together. Depending on the number of players involved, you can use up to eight decks
- A surface: You will need a table or a flat surface for the players to place bets and the dealer to lay out the cards
- Cash or chips: Since blackjack involves betting, you can use cash of different denominations or casino chips as substitute
- A dealer: The dealer will be responsible for dealing of cards, managing bets, and ensuring that the game is played within the established rules and regulations
- Players: Up to 7 players can play blackjack. Since the card game is fast-paced, it is better to have multiple players to place bets, receive cards and make in-game decisions to make the experience thrilling
- Blackjack chart: A blackjack chart is optional, but if all the players are new to the game, then there is no harm in keeping beside a guide to ensure the smooth flow of the game
These are some of the basic necessities to play blackjack. If you are willing to, you can invest in a blackjack table since they come with proper markings for bets and positioning of cards, as well as a card shoe to hold and dispense the cards.
Because playing offline Blackjack requires some investment and materials, we suggest playing at an online blackjack site. Scroll down to the bottom of the page to find our top picks!
The gameplay of blackjack comprises several elements that make the game fun for everyone involved.
Here are the major ones that significantly influence the gameplay and strategy.
- The value of cards: All the cards carry numbered values against them. Numbers 2 to 10 consist of their respective face values, whereas Jacks, Queens, and Kings are worth 10 points each. Conversely, Aces can be valued 1 as well as 11 depending on the how they benefit the hand
- The decks: You can use a standard deck of cards or multiple decks of cards depending on the number of players playing the game
- The betting process: Before the dealer deals the cards, all the players place bets with the objective of competing against the dealer, ensuring that their card value does not exceed 21
- The dealer: The dealer is responsible for critical aspects of the game like dealing the cards, ensuring that rules are being followed by the players, and playing against the players
- Player actions: Post-dealing of the cards, players are required to play their hands. While at it, they need to make a decision between Hit, Stand, Double Down, and Split judging by the strength of their respective hands
- Calculation of the hands: The total value of the cards decides whether you have won the game against the dealer or not. You need to be strategic in order to ensure that your hand total does not exceed 21
- House rules: House rules usually vary from casino to casino. Regardless, these include a specific set of rules like when the dealer Hits or Stands, payout ratios, how many decks to use, etc.
- Payouts: Winnings are generally paid out on a 1:1 ratio. However, for an exceptional draw like an Ace combined with a 10-value card, the payout is 3:2
What is the Objective?
As one of the players at the blackjack table, your objective is to beat the dealer by getting a high value hand in comparison to them, but not exceeding 21. The game can be played across multiple rounds with either the players or the dealer winning each time.
The players can win under the following two scenarios:
- If the total of their hand is closer to 21 than the dealer’s hand without exceeding 21
- If the dealer busts, irrespective of the hand total of the players
The dealer wins if their hand total is closer to 21 or if the player busts.
So, basically, you should aim to make strategic decisions about how to play blackjack better and when to hit, stand, double down, or split.
Like any other card game, blackjack has its own set of rules that you should comply with. There are several rules that you should be mindful about, and once you grasp the concept, the game is as fun as any other card game is.
So, read through for an insight into the basic rules of blackjack:
- Blackjack is usually played between 2 to 7 players while using between one and eight standard decks of 52 cards each
- The numbered cards are allotted their respective face value, whereas face cards Jacks, Queens, and Kings are valued at 10 points each. The value of Aces can be treated as 1 as well as 11 depending on the strength of the hand
- All players bet before the dealing of the cards, after which the dealer deals every player two cards, both face down, while receiving two cards but one face up and another face down
- Every player must call for either Hit, Stand, Double Down, or Split as per the strength of their hand
- While calling, players must ensure that the combination value of their two cards does not exceed 21, but gets as close to the number as possible
- If the value of a player’s cards exceeds 21, they are said to have ‘bust’ and lost their bet
- Usually, winners receive a 1:1 payout. The perfect hand includes an Ace combined with either 10, Jack, Queen, or King, which is also called ‘Blackjack’, giving the winner a 3:2 payout
While blackjack is a game that involves skill as well as luck, newbies mostly rely on the latter. As your experience in the game grows and you start assessing the surroundings, you begin to develop new ways to outsmart the dealer.
But if you are someone who has just started and in search of techniques, here is a blackjack strategy guide:
- Consider the dealer’s card before you take any action. Check whether the dealer’s up card is poor (between 2 and 6) or good (between 7 and Ace). knowing what the dealer has will help you make a rational decision
- It is important to start small and not go firing on all cylinders. As a new player, ending on the cold streak is not a situation you want to find yourself in. Gauge the situation you are placed in and learn to take a step back when needed
- It is key to understand that you are playing against the dealer alone despite there being other players at the same table. Their decisions will in no way impact your hand. So, do not give into the gambler’s myth by getting influenced by what others are doing
- You must ensure that you do not burn your bankroll. Even before you enter the game, decide how much money you are comfortable losing, at the same time not limiting yourself on how much you can win
- Understand the blackjack basic strategy by memorizing when to hit, stand, split or double down your hand. This will substantially cut down the house edge. So, strategies like always splitting Aces and 8s or standing when you have hand value between 12 and 16 and the dealer has a low value hand usually bear positive results
Always remember that while implementing new strategies can improve your winning odds, the house edge in blackjack is always something to take into consideration.
So, play responsibly and most importantly, enjoy the game without worrying too much about the results.
Tips and Tricks
In card games like blackjack there are no guaranteed blackjack betting tips to win irrespective of whether you are a newbie or a seasoned player.
It is your in-game decisions that will decide whether or not you beat the dealer’s hand.
Nevertheless, here are some blackjack tips and tricks that will enhance the way you play the game.
Understand the rules: While all casinos follow the basic blackjack rules, they might amend a few here and there to make the game more fun. This can affect your strategy, so make sure that you are certain that you know the rules of that particular table.
Practice bankroll management: Be sure to set a budget, as it will help you to avoid betting more than what you can afford to lose. This helps in maintaining control of your finances, thus prolonging your stay with the casino.
Ignore insurance bets: Insurance bets are offered to players when the dealer’s up card is an Ace. If the dealer has a natural blackjack (21), it pays 2:1. These bets are often tempting owing to their higher payout, but they are not sustainable in the long run. When offered, it is best advised that you decline them.
Keep an eye on the dealer’s up card: The dealer’s up card has the potential to influence the decisions you make. Based on the card shown to you, adjust your action as per your hand value.
Do not be jumpy: It is important that you hold your nerve in a game like blackjack. When you are jumpy, it is easy to quit on a strategy, which might leave you in an anxious state further leading to poor decision-making. In the long run, consider sticking to your initial strategy as it is the best way to bring things back into your favor.
Keep practicing: Online casinos usually offer free rooms for their members to play blackjack without spending money. This can result in you competing against actual players, allowing you to refine your strategies and become confident while entering real cash rounds.
Over time, blackjack enthusiasts have managed to come up with numerous variations of the card game enabling it to suit the playing style of the local region.
You will find that some of the best online casino sites offer over 200 different variations of blackjack. Each of these variations comes with their own unique rules, side bets or extras.
We recommend sticking with classic blackjack when you’re a beginner. If you do want to play a different version of the game, make sure you understand the rules.
Featured below are some of the most popular Blackjack variations.
- Vegas Strip Blackjack: This variant is largely popular in Las Vegas. It is played using four decks of cards and has a few rules slightly amended, but the main objective remains the same, which is to get the two-card tally close to 21
- European Blackjack: In this variation, the dealer receives only one card face up, which reduces the house advantage creating room for players to incorporate different strategies into their gameplay
- Blackjack Switch: Here, all the players are dealt two hands as opposed to a single hand, giving them the option to switch the second card of each hand in order to improve the strength of their hand
- Atlantic City Blackjack: The rules of Atlantic City Blackjack are more or less similar to Vegas Strip, but this card game is played using eight decks of cards and has personalized rules for surrendering, splitting, and doubling down
- Progressive Blackjack: In Progressive Blackjack, you can place sidebets that include 5-Card Charlie Side Bet (betting that the player will draw a five-card hand without their tally going over 21), 7-Card Charlie Side Bet (betting that the player will draw a seven-card hand without their tally going over 21), Match the Dealer (betting on one or both of dealer’s cards while matching their face up card in suit or rank), etc.
- Double Exposure Blackjack: In this game, both the dealer cards are dealt face up, which gives players more information, thus helping them to make an informed decision to improve their hand
Where to Play Blackjack Online?
With blackjack now easily accessible online, it is vital to select the ideal source for your gaming requirements. There are different factors that you should look into before settling in on a casino.
We have listed below some of our recommendations. Do take a look into them to determine whether or not they match your preferences.
Blue Chip is home to around 30 blackjack games, including its variations such as Blackjack VIP, Blackjack Silver, Blackjack Party, and Blackjack VIP Alpha.
The games on this platform come from some of the most renowned software providers like SAGaming, TVBET, VIVO Gaming, Vibra Gaming, Evolution, etc. So, you can be assured of receiving only the games of the highest quality to enhance your experience.
Also, by signing up with them, you can collect the Bluechip welcome bonus of up to INR 100,000 which you can use to fund your gaming campaign.
Fresh Casino brings you numerous live tables to play blackjack on their platform. By visiting the Live Casino category, you can gain access to these games from the most popular software providers.
You will notice that not all the gaming rooms are accessible at all times, but the operator displays the time when the tables open, and accordingly, you can plan your schedule around it. Here, you get just over 200 gaming options, leaving you spoilt for choice.
However, you can explore these options by collecting the welcome bonus up 100% up to INR 30,000 on your first deposit. To qualify for it, all you need to do is make a minimum deposit of INR 1,000.
Similar to Fresh Casino, this operator offers you over 200 blackjack games to explore, with some of the most popular titles being Blackjack Classic, Live Unlimited Blackjack, Lightning Blackjack, and Power Blackjack.
Sol Casino is committed to delivering a top gaming experience to its members and in accordance, it gives you 100% up to INR 30,000 as a welcome bonus. Be sure that there is a x30 wagering requirement that needs to be completed in order to make your winnings withdrawable.