Casino games carry an aura that is unmatched. You can find land casinos as well as online casinos that serve their customers day and night, offering avenues to try their luck at winning huge sums of monetary rewards. One such game is roulette.
This vibrant game of luck and strategy is said to have originated in France during the 18th century. Over time, it has evolved to become a global symbol of grace and excitement. Using just a wheel and a ball, the game has managed to leave its mark from the casinos of Monte Carlo to the gambling hubs of Las Vegas.
If you have ever felt excited to the thought of playing roulette or simply learning how to play roulette, you are at the right place.
This page will cover all the important elements of this casino game, including roulette game tricks, roulette rules, and roulette strategy, to name a few, to set you off on a gaming path unlike any other.
How to Play Roulette?
Before learning how to play roulette, it is important for you to know that it is a game of chance. The laws of physics and probability determine where the ball randomly lands on the wheel each time. So, it does not involve any skill since your prediction can go either way.
Regardless, you can employ strategies in the betting department using the Martingale System or the Fibonacci System to influence the odds and potential payouts.
Basically, you can make use of roulette payout tricks or the roulette strategy chart, but the eventual outcome will be determined by luck.
Equipment Needed to Play Roulette
You do not need much equipment to set up roulette. However, there are components that form the essential part of this casino game. They are listed below:
- Roulette Wheel: The roulette wheel is the central piece of the game, mounted horizontally on a spindle. It contains numbered pockets that vary between American Roulette (00, 0, to 36) and European Roulette (0 to 36) versions. The color of the pockets alternate between red and black, whereas 0 and 00 are represented by green
- Roulette Ball: The roulette ball is a shiny, small ball. It is used by the dealer, as they release it onto the wheel while it spins, with its final resting place determining the winning number
- Roulette Table: As one of the players, the roulette table is where you will be placing all your bets. They carry numbers similar to the ones depicted on the wheel, while providing dedicated spaces for inside and outside bets. On the table, you can also find information about the minimum and maximum bets that you can place during each round
- Chips: Roulette has its own special chips that players use to place their bets, which you receive in exchange for money. Do remember that these chips do not carry any monetary value outside the walls of the casino
Playing the Game
While the rules of roulette are pretty straightforward, there are stages that need to be carried out sequentially to ensure smooth flow of the game.
Here is how the gameplay follows across a single round of roulette:
- Bets placement: Even before the round begins, you are required to place bets on the roulette table. You can choose whether to bet on inside bets (betting on a specific number or a group of numbers) or outside bets (betting on colors or odd / even numbers). You are also allowed to place multiple bets during a single round
- Betting limits: Casinos usually set maximum and minimum betting limits for roulette, details of which you must comply with as a player
- Spinning the wheel: The dealer, also called croupier, spins the wheel in one direction after all the players at the table have placed their bets.
- Releasing the ball: The dealer then releases the ball onto the wheel in the opposite direction. In online roulette this is done virtually and the position of the final position of the ball is determined by the Random Number Generator.
- Landing of the ball: The wheel eventually loses its momentum, with the ball settling into one of the numbered pockets. The number on which it lands is the winning number for that round
- Payouts: A player wins the round if the ball lands in their corresponding bet. They payout depends on the type of bet placed – inside bets have better payouts due to their higher odds; outside bets, on the other hand, provide conservative payouts owing to their lower odds
- 0 and 00: In American roulette, if the ball lands on either 0 or 00, the house wins all the bets placed on the table, except for the ones that have been placed on the zeroes
- A new round begins: The dealer completes the payouts and clears the table for a fresh round to commence, which again starts with players placing their respective bets
Roulette Game Objective
Your goal while playing roulette is to predict where the ball will land on the spinning wheel. Before the wheel is spun, you must place bets, and if your bet wins, you receive a payout.
These wagers can be inside bets or outside bets that carry individual payouts, which can be high or low.
The game is an amalgamation of chance and strategy, with the anticipation of where the ball will land generating the most excitement among the players.
Regardless of your roulette gaming status, the rules of this casino game are quite simple and easy to understand.
Here they are:
- You must place bets before the dealer spins the wheel. The bet can either be an inside bet or an outside bet
- Bets have minimum and maximum limits. Information about the same are printed on the roulette table, so make sure to check out the section to avoid any confusions
- If the ball lands on the pocket that you predicted, you win. If it does not, then you lose the bet
- American roulette tables have 0 and 00 numbers. If the ball lands on either of those numbers, the house wins all the bets placed, except the ones from the players who bet on these numbers
- Finally, remember that each spin of the wheel is random and there is no influence on the outcome. You can come up with a roulette strategy to win, but not the result of the spin
Different Types of Bets in Roulette
While inside and outside bets are the general categories of betting in roulette, here is a break up of the bets that they comprise:
- Red / Rouge: Betting on a red number
- Black / Noir: Betting on a black number
- Even / Pair: Betting on an even number
- Odd / Impair: Betting on an odd number
- Low bet / Manque: Betting on numbers 1 to 18
- High bet / Passe: Betting on numbers 19 to 36
- First dozen / Premiere douzaine: Betting on numbers 1 to 12
- Middle dozen / Moyenne douzaine: Betting on numbers 13 to 24
- Last dozen / Dernier douzaine: Betting on numbers 25 to 36
Each bet comes with its oown winning odds. An overview of that can be found in the table below.
|Bet Types||European Roulette Odds||American Roulette Odds|
|Red / Rouge||48.65%||47.37%|
|Black / Noir||48.65%||47.37%|
|Even / Pair||48.65%||47.37%|
|Odd / Impair||48.65%||47.37%|
|Low bet / Manque||48.65%||47.37%|
|High bet / Passe||48.65%||47.37%|
|Firse dozen / Premiere douzaine||32.43%||31.58%|
|Middle dozen / Moyenne douzaine||32.43%||31.58%|
|Last dozen / Dernier douzaine||32.43%||31.58%|
Despite largely being a game of chance, there are certain components of roulette that you can control. These usually include the betting aspects of the game, allowing you to alter the odds and possible payouts.
As you gain experience, you can employ these strategies to your gameplay, adding an extra layer of excitement:
- Martingale System: It is one of the most popular betting strategies and is easy to execute. All you have to do is double your bet after any loss that you suffer, thus aiming to recover past losses and make a profit. However, before implementing this roulette strategy, you must ensure that you have a substantial bankroll since the risk of drying out your funds always looms over you
- Fibonacci System: Like the Fibonacci Sequence, this strategy requires you to place bets that are dictated by the progression of the sequence. As a result, you will experience a more gradual approach towards recovering any losses that you might have suffered
- Labouchere System: While using the Labouchere System, you must be clear-headed in terms with how much you want to win. Accordingly, you must bet on something that has a 50% chance of winning, plus is not an inside bet due to the risk element involved
- James Bond Strategy: Named after the popular fictional character, the James Bond Strategy requires you to place bets on the larger section of the wheel. So, you must expect the ball to land on numbers 13 to 18 or 19 to 36. Since it does not cover a lot of numbers, there is the chance of occasional losses
The above mentioned strategies have their own upsides and downsides, but irrespective of that most seasoned players prefer going with the Martingale System. It is often regarded as the more successful strategy as compared to others as it is easy to use and provides good returns.
Tips and Tricks
Roulette being a game of chance, there is no foolproof trick that guarantees a win. Regardless, there are a few tips that you can utilize in your gameplay in order to influence the outcome of the rounds as well as the payouts.
Read on to know about these tricks:
- Choose the right variation: Roulette has more than one variation, with each differing in rules, gameplay, odds, etc. As compared to American roulette, European roulette is considered more rewarding, thanks to the absence of 00. If you have an option, always choose European roulette over its American counterpart
- Bankroll management: Always set a budget before the start of the gaming sessions, and stick to it. While at it, make sure that you do not go chasing losses and never bet more money than what you can afford to lose
- Merge both bets: Instead of playing a solitary inside or outside bet, try merging both bets in a given round. This opens the doors to a wide range of outcomes
- Observe any developing patterns: While the ball lands on random numbers, there is no harm in observing whether any patterns develop. There are times when the ball lands on a number with a hot streak or with a cold streak. Betting on one such number during a pattern trail can prove to be lucrative
- Know when to quit; If you reach your predetermined spending limit, quit the game. Similarly, if you are on a losing streak, it is better to back away and return with a fresh set of eyes
- Enjoy the experience: Despite money being involved, your main goal should be entertainment. Have fun with each spin of the roulette wheel and take advantage of the social aspect to understand the game better
Embracing the unpredictability of roulette can take you a long way and bring you contentment at the end of each round. Accepting that wins and losses are a part of this casino game will result in you enjoying the game as opposed to crumbling under the pressure of winning.
Popular Roulette Variations
One of the interesting aspects of roulette is that it has multiple variations that you can try, with the potential of learning something new every time. European and American roulette are the most common variations played around the world.
Listed below are some other variants for you to play:
- Mini Roulette: Mini Roulette is the scaled down version of the traditional roulette game and it comes with 13 pockets – 12 numbers and a zero. Due to the reduced numbers of betting options, it presents you with a different dynamic to approach every round
- French Roulette: While it is similar to the European version of roulette, it adds in the “La Partage” and “En Prison” rules. The former ruling allows you to receive half of your bet back if the ball lands on 0, whereas the latter lets you keep your bet for the next spin in a similar situation
- Double Ball Roulette: As the name suggests, two balls are used in this variant instead of one. Further, you must predict the outcome of both balls in order to emerge victorious
- Live Dealer Roulette: In this version of online roulette, you play in the presence of an actual dealer on your computer screen, replicating the atmosphere of playing in an actual land casino
- Triple Zero Roulette: This variant is quite rare, but here, you can find a third pair of zero 000, which increases the house edge further. It also means that you have a third chance of hitting a relatively big payout.
When selecting which variation of roulette you want to play, you must consider different in-game elements such as house edge, any specific rules, the number of pockets on the wheel, etc. as they largely affect the game.
Each variant has its own share of offerings for players and none should be undermined irrespective of whether or not you like to play it.
Where to Play Roulette Online?
online sources offering different variations of the game. However, in order to receive good returns on your efforts, you must pick the ones that are reputable.
To eliminate research on your part, we have listed a few notable and trustworthy online roulette sites that you can sign up with to play roulette and more –
With Mostbet, you can participate in different roulette variations for as little as INR 5 as entry fees. Some of the games you will find here include Lightning Roulette, European Roulette, Instant Roulette Live, Classic Roulette, and Hindi Roulette, to name a few.
These games come from some of the most renowned software providers, guaranteeing thorough entertainment throughout your duration of play.
You can also collect the Mostbet welcome bonus of 100% up to INR 34,000 + 250 free spins on your first deposit.
Signing up with Sol Casino can give you access to 70 roulette games at the moment. They also comprise of unique variants such as K-Pop Roulette, Red Door Roulette, Gold Vault Roulette, French Roulette, Quantum Roulette, and UK Roulette, among others.
These games are unique in their own way and come with incredible returns. The operator also houses numerous promotional offers that can help you to explore these variations, keeping you hooked for extended hours of gaming.
Like Sol Casino, Fresh Casino offers you 70+ games of roulette, including European Roulette and American Roulette. The casino partners with software providers like NetEnt, Playtech, Evolution, etc. to bring you a gaming experience of a lifetime.
By registering with them, you can collect bonuses across your first four deposits, including 500 free spins, allowing you to play these games without spending a lot of your money.